What do you do when your entire family is hit with a virus? You make homemade chicken soup (of course)!
Yes, it’s been a crazy week and a half of various stages of illness. There have been headaches, coughing, cold symptoms, malaise, and a few relapses. Sunday I made a large pot of chicken noodle soup, and I am about to make another pot.
Health Benefits of Chicken Noodle Soup
Growing up, our moms always made chicken soup for the family. But did you know that bone broth has numerous health benefits?
According to The Weston A. Price Foundation, when bones are cooked, they release minerals, and amino acids that the body can easily absorb. Such as: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur, trace minerals, chondroitin sulphates, and glucosamine.
Here’s my homemade chicken soup recipe to nourish your body and soul.
1 Whole Chicken Roaster (about 2-3 lbs)
1 Large Onion
3 Celery Stalks
2 TBSP Vinegar (to help release the gelatin in the bones, that’s where all the good vitamins are.)
1 Package of Egg Noodles
1. Remove the gizzards from your bird. Plop it into the pot. Cover with water. Chop up veggies. Dump them in. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes over medium heat. Remove the scum that rises to the top.
2. Carefully remove the hot bird to a big tray (or 9″x11″ glass baking dish). Let cool for 20 minutes before handling.
3. Remove meat from the bird and place in the fridge. Remove the veggies with a slotted spoon, and put in the fridge. Put the carcass back in the pot and let simmer for 2-3 hours with the lid on.
4. Discard the carcass. Remove scum and then strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer.
5. If a lot of the stock evaporated, add more water and some chicken bullion cubes.
6. Add the meat you picked off the bird, the veggies, some egg noodles, and parsley. Boil the noodles according to the package.
7. Mangia! Mangia! We like adding black pepper and parmesan cheese over the top. Mmmmm.
How do you make Chicken Soup? Share your recipe!
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO COUPONING AT BJ's
Sign up to receive the Exclusive FREE Guide, plus tons of money saving ideas, coupons, deals & more.