Need ideas for a new camera for yourself, family or as a gift? I've used Film Cameras, Digital Cameras, Handheld Video Recorders, Go Pros, Cell phones you name it. I've shot with it. And there's been one constant thing that I've always done even though I'm a Professional Photographer.
Technology has evolved time and time again, we've even completely surpassed certain technologies. It's possible cameras won't even feature mirrors in the body and all will be Mirrorless.
Traditional SLR type film cameras aren't sold as new anymore, however, they can still be bought from eBay, or local pawn shops.
Which for people like myself, this is a good thing. We have the advantage to take something that has great technology for a low price and utilize it how we see fit. Not how an article or review tells you. Money should always be the most important thing when buying new photography equipment.
So with cost efficiency in mind
I was looking at Amazon's Best Sellers in Digital Cameras, getting ideas for Gifts when I realized something really interesting.
These are all different cameras with incredibly affordable price points.
Which goes to show people aren't spending money on Amazon on the most feature-packed DSLR, they're spending money on cameras like a Kodak 16mp Point and Shoot, or a Canon T6 Refurb for $321.
Yes, Point and Shoots are still extremely popular, who knew? Often people don't recommend them, but we'll go over why you shouldn't count them out just yet, or bite the bullet on the most expensive new Digital Cameras.
So let's round up Amazon's Best Selling Digital Cameras, and see what the buzz is about.
*Note this list and price is current as of 10/13/18
5 Affordable Cameras on Amazon Roundup
- The Canon Rebel T6 DSLR w/19-55 Lens (Certified Refurb) for $321.87
Rebels are some of the easiest cameras to pick up and use. This camera new is upwards of $500, So if you're a budding photographer interested in Portraits, Landscapes, or ready to elevate your creativity outside the realm of a phone this is a camera to invest in, offering more versatility with the included kit lens.
- 18.0 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor; DIGIC 4+ Image Processor; 3.0″ 920k-Dot LCD Monitor
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps; 9-Point AF with Center Cross-Type Point
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to H: 12800) for shooting from bright light to low light. 3 fps Shooting; Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC; Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
2.Kodak PIXPRO Friendly Zoom FZ43 $56.50
Kodak has been a longstanding contender in affordable cameras. This point and shoot is a perfect option for families that are needing the zoom and fun that cameras like this offer. Its a perfect starting point to teach the fundamentals, and cameras like this where rechargeable batteries last longer than Lithium Ion batteries, and 16g SD cards can be loaded with TONS of Vacation Memories.
It's a blast when someone in the family has one of these, whether they give it to a kid or grandparent. It's just that easy to snap. Sure your phone may take better photos, but your phone is generally much more expensive and is used for many things than just taking photos. It's nice to separate tools for the job.
- 4X Optical Zoom
- 27mm Wide Angle; Compatible with PC or Mac
- 16 Megapixels; Compatible with PC or Mac.Focal Length 4.9 mm (Wide) — 19.6 mm (Tele). Shutter Speed: 1/2000 – 4 Seconds
- 2.7″ LCD Screen
- 720p HD Video
3. Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 Digital Camera w/ Image Stabilization $109
Similar to the previous Kodak Point and Shoot, this Canon Point and Shoot offers more features and Canons reputation for a reasonable price. The size of these is truly incredible for the quality of photos Point and Shoots can produce nowadays.
This has an 8x Zoom with Stabilization, Digic 4, 20MP CCD Sensor, and 720p Video. However, this camera doesn't feature AA Batteries like the Kodak, meaning you'll either need extra lithium batteries or a reliable charger.
- 8x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- 20.0 Megapixel CCD sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality
- 720p HD video capabilities.Focusing Range:Normal: 2.0 in. – infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) – infinity (T)
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings based on predefined shooting situations
4.Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera 24.3MP w/16-50mm Power Zoom Lens $548
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and Focus Sensitivity Range :EV 0 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200). Lens compatibility- Sony E-mount lenses
- Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continuous shooting
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots
One of the most popular Mirrorless cameras, and with as many features as this, it's sure to cover most families needs. Big MP count giving you nice size prints up to massive 20×30 poster size. High ISO for low light shooting, Hybrid AF to track things like fast moving kids, to sporting events with the 11 frames per second.
It's nice to have a tilting LCD to maneuver, ensuring different viewing angles. This camera takes a step beyond our first best selling camera the Canon T6, with better video capability, more features for a higher price point. Beginners to amateurs will find a ton of use in this kit. I like the color options too, a white or gunmetal instead of the common camera black.
5. Panasonic Lumix FZ80 4K 60x Zoom, 18 MP, 20-1200mm Lens $297
- Panasonic’s exclusive 4K PHOTO burst, plus 4K Video capture performance
- 18.1MP sensor resolution, plus 3” touch control LCD
- Optically stabilized 20-1200mm (60X) LUMIX DC VARIO lens. Focus Range Wide: 11.81 inches
- Fast and accurate focusing utilizing LUMIX DFD focusing system
Last but not least, This Lumix features a MASSIVE 20-1200mm focal length. It's an all-in-one meaning there's no lens swapping, but that's why the focal range is so huge! This is an incredible travel camera like Point and Shoots because you don't need extra lenses.
But with all the extra features come at a cost of battery life. Yes, like the Sony a6000, it drains batteries. Otherwise, this camera is packed with features and is a family powerhouse. Birdwatchers and Nature-goers would love this thing! Battery banks are recommended as this charges with USB cables only.
See the rest of Amazon's Best Selling Digital Cameras.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE BJS DEALS! Come Hang and Score Deals with us on Tiktok too! $20 BJ's Membership Deal HERE
MyBJsWholesale may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read full disclosure here