I wanted to share with you the latest news from BJ’s Wholesale club on how they are handling the Covid-19 outbreak.
I was at BJ’s this morning and shared my experience and my thoughts and concerns in a Facebook live.
You can watch the video below and the letter from BJs is below too.
The health and safety of our members, team members and communities remain our top priority. We have taken additional measures to ensure a safe shopping experience.
• Temperature Checks for Team Members: Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have asked all team members who are sick to remain home. Soon, we will check the temperatures of team member as they report to work in all our locations. If any team member has an elevated temperature, they will be directed to return home and seek medical care if necessary.
• Masks and Gloves: In the coming weeks, we will make masks and gloves available, as supplies permit, to team members who want to wear them. We will provide high-quality masks, but will not provide N95 respirators, which should be reserved for healthcare workers.
• Increased Wages: We previously announced that all hourly team members in our clubs, distribution centers and home office will earn an additional $2 per hour for each hour worked. We are extending this wage increase for hourly team members in our clubs, distribution centers and home office for each hour worked through May 2, 2020.
• Closed on Easter: All BJ’s clubs will be closed on Easter Sunday, April 12, 2020 to give team members a day to rest and recharge.
• Social Distancing: We have implemented new operational processes to encourage social distancing in our clubs including posting instructional signage throughout every club; dedicating team members to ensure members wait in line at an appropriate distance while checking out; and making audio announcements.
• Capacity Limits in Clubs: We will limit the number of members allowed inside clubs at one time. The number of members allowed in clubs will vary by location based on the square footage of each club. No more than 20% of a club’s total capacity will be allowed in the building at any given time. When possible, all members are encouraged to send only one person per household to shop in club. This policy will help promote social distancing efforts and ensure a safer environment for members and team members.
• Supporting our Hospitals: The BJ’s Charitable Foundation has contributed $1 million to COVID-19 relief efforts, and BJ’s clubs have donated countless items to first responders, healthcare workers and nonprofits to help support their communities. In addition to $500,000 previously donated to support COVID-19 relief efforts, our foundation will contribute another $500,000 to support hospitals throughout the states in which we operate.
Our clubs will continue to offer a daily shopping hour for members age 60 and over to shop in a less crowded environment. These members can use a designated entrance and shop from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. daily at all locations. In addition, our clubs are closing earlier to give team members more time to restock, sanitize and recharge. Please visit bjs.com/locationsto check hours at your club.
To see everything we are doing to encourage a safe and healthy shopping experience, please click here.
Thank you for being a loyal member,
BJ’s Wholesale Club