JOIN THE SUPER ACTIVE COUPONING AT BJ'S & BEYOND FACEBOOK GROUP
6,600 MEMBERS & GROWING!
Pea soup is a nice, thick and hearty soup. We enjoyed both a Christmas Ham and Turkey, so after making broth from the turkey I made a Turkey Soup and Pea Soup. I learned from one recipe that I looked up, to stir in the peas before adding the broth, and I think it makes the soup even better. I also like to use the orange-colored peas sometimes. The kids like the presentation of this better than the green.
1 package (16 oz) dried split peas
1 chopped onion
1-3 cloves garlic
2 TBSP olive oil
1 ham bone (with meat on it)
2 cups chicken or turkey broth
3 cups water
2 diced carrots
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1. Saute the onion and garlic in a large pot with olive oil until they are soft (3-5 minutes).
2. Add the split peas (after rinsing, checking them over to make sure there are no stones) and stir for a minute or so.
3. Add Water, Broth, Ham Bone and Bay leaf, salt and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for an hour.
5. Add diced carrots, simmer for another hour.
6. At this point I take out the ham bone and bay leaf (set ham aside to cool), and use an immersion blender to make the soup smooth.
7. When the ham is cool enough to handle, I take the meat off and put it in the soup.
What do you like to make with Holiday leftovers?
Disclosure: This deal was hand-picked to help you save money, and may contain affiliate links. Thank you, for your support!
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO COUPONING AT BJ's
Sign up to receive the Exclusive FREE Guide, plus tons of money saving ideas, coupons, deals & more.